Steve’s Encode64 Utility
This is my encode64 tool for Microsoft Windows. It’s used for creating data URIs which I talked about in the Ultimate web site optimization trick: data URIs article.
- Click the Select File button, open the file you want to convert. The tool will show the encoded string.
- Then click the Copy to Clipboard button. Paste the string wherever you need it.
- This tool is for almost any version of Microsoft Windows (sorry Mac and Linux users).
- There is no file size check so be careful. If you try to process a big file it will hang your computer for some time, or lock up entirely. Files less than 32KB (IE8 limit) will be basically instantaneous.
- You can get the source code from the GitHub repository: Steve’s Encode64 Utility